Interesting People mailing list archives

WiMax -- has it failed

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 12:43:00 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Charles Pinneo <pinneo () sbcglobal net>
Date: August 31, 2008 11:37:02 AM EDT
Subject: Re: [IP] WiMax whats up?

It doesn't generate profit?

But from reading IP for several years I do know this: municipal WiMax has pretty much failed. Nobody wants to pay for it? Dave Farber should really answer this because he's been posting comments on it for a two or three years. There was actually an IP thread on this called "Neighborhood Wireless" or "Neighborhood WiFi." I can't seem to find it on my computer or on the "Monthly Archives for Interesting People." I know it's there, but it going out of date fast.

Google "Neighborhood Wireless."

A lot of people WERE trying to avoid paying so much money to AT&T and Cable. Most have given up. This is central to Network Neutrality.

Here's an article from Popular Science from 2006. It was a technology about to happen in 2006, but it may be dead or dying now. Maybe it just wasn't profitable. If this article doesn't format properly from Mac to PC, I can resend it to you in a different form. WiMax, neighborhood wireless, WiFi, municipal WiFi, are all Googleable, but I just don't have time right now. I have to drive to an Obama rally in Battle Creek. Try NY Wireless at <http://www.nycwireless.net/>. In Manhattan they just hitchhike on each others wireless connections. And that works if you're not concerned with privacy. I think this is a hot topic which died due to the profit factor.