Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: do read Comcast confirms 250GB cap effective October 1

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 11:20:39 -0400

Tony is a senior networking person who worked at DEC in their heyday djf

Begin forwarded message:

From: Tony Lauck <tlauck () madriver com>
Date: August 29, 2008 9:43:57 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:   Comcast confirms 250GB cap effective October 1

Since a cap will not solve Comcast's congestion problem, if Comcast persists in its ignorance their next step will be to lower the cap. In an ideal world, this would lead to their demise, as happened with Prodigy. Unfortunately, this is unlikely to happen because Comcast has a last mile monopoly.

I could care less about companies such as Comcast, except as they are monopolists. So long as last mile monopolies are allowed to exist it will be possible for incompetently managed operations to continue to exist. Without such a monopoly they will be subject to the creative destruction of the marketplace and they will forced to change or they will cease to exist.

Tony Lauck
https://www.aglauck.com

Good point djf