Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: MSFT patents "PageUp/PageDown" function

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 18:45:11 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Richard Pauli <rpauli () speakeasy net>
Date: August 27, 2008 5:57:54 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:   MSFT patents "PageUp/PageDown" function

Dave,

My patent story for IP:

I had the misfortune of inventing something while I worked at Microsoft. I say worked "at Microsoft" instead of "for Microsoft" since I worked there for years as a permatemp contractor.

Everyone should know that any invention you patent is owned by your employer (if they want it) - even if you invent a potato peeler while working for a company building airplanes. And since I worked as a contractor this meant my contract agency employer had the rights to my invention. Admittedly this is still an untested, very grey area . Microsoft got very mad when I refused to turn it over to them...even though it was invented completely outside of their world and unrelated to their products. ( http://www.sundialsetup.com )

I offered them my invention quid pro quo full time employment at Microsoft, instead they offered either to take it completely or to hold the door for my swift and permanent exit from their company. Sigh. I thought that quite rude and not very smart for any company that needs new ideas to do that. And perhaps, not very smart of me for pushing the issue.

Too bad for me now, because Microsoft has grown to be the dominant employer in this area - and I have lost them forever - and too bad for them because I had lots more ideas and energy to offer and they lost that too. I suspect there are many more stories like mine.

Richard Pauli
Seattle, Wa
http://iThumb.org latest idea for Trusted Ridesharing