Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Searching a laptop not same as searching a backpack

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 13:36:52 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Stewart Baker" <stewart.baker () gmail com>
Date: August 17, 2008 12:44:40 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Searching a laptop not same as searching a backpack

In my view, Peter's points aren't particularly persuasive:

1.  When customs authorities search books and papers at the border,
they can and do make copies, which last every bit as long as
electronic records from laptops (longer, if my experience with hard
drive failure is anything to go by).
2. If you drive your travel trailer across the border with Canada,
authorities on both sides of the border can search it thoroughly, even
if it really is your only home, and without probable cause.  So even
literal homes can be searched, not just the figurative home that Peter
invents. (Also, really, how is a laptop more like a home than a
trunkful of diaries, scrapbooks, photo albums, and financial and
medical records being brought home after a few years?)
3.  Last time I looked, lawyers were among the most paperbound of
professions, and they bring those papers across the border every day.
Do they get a pass to bring anything they want into the country in
their briefcases just because client information might be in there
too?

Stewart Baker