Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: How the $20 first-time cellphone-in-car penalty will cost you $97

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 14:22:12 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: August 16, 2008 1:47:20 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: lauren () vortex com
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: How the $20 first-time cellphone-in-car penalty will cost you $97

Dave,

The "no handheld phones while driving" laws are based on "feel
good" politics, not science.  Even the main proponent of the law
here in California has admitted that the science isn't there.

If you really want to cut down on distraction accidents, you need
to ban all outside distractions and the children in the back seat,
as a start.

The trick is that you can easily *see* someone holding a cell phone,
but you can't easily see many of the even more serious distractions
from another vehicle.  And the science says over and over again that
the distraction level is the same from handheld or hands-free phones,
but politicians don't have the guts to ban *all* cell phone usage
while driving in this country.

On this topic:

http://lauren.vortex.com/archive/000190.html

http://lauren.vortex.com/archive/000189.html

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren () vortex com or lauren () pfir org
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
http://www.pfir.org/lauren
Co-Founder, PFIR
  - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, NNSquad
  - Network Neutrality Squad - http://www.nnsquad.org
Founder, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com

 - - -

I don'y ya;l while driving. I have a speaker attachment and I may
answer BUT it is just to see if it is a panic or not and then tell
them I will call back latter or when I can pull off the road. BUT
there are a lot of distractions in a car -- talk radio, yelling kids ,
nagging wives (not mine). Do we out;law all of these things? How about
brightly lit signboards at night? Where do we stop?

Dave

Begin forwarded message: