Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Home science under attack

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 04:08:05 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Armando Stettner <aps () ieee org>
Date: August 12, 2008 11:27:29 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Home science under attack

I would not have believed it but many of the things I owned as a kid are 'regulated' (at least) in Texas. The statue "requires anyone who sells, transfers, furnishes, or purchases certain precursor chemicals or certain laboratory apparatus to be regulated by DPS."

I had several of these things....

  armando

"Chemical laboratory apparatus" means any item of equipment designed, made, or adapted to manufacture a controlled substance or a controlled substance analogue, including:
(A)  a condenser
(B)  a distilling apparatus
(C)  a vacuum drier
(D)  a three-neck or distilling flask
(E)  a tableting machine
(F)  an encapsulating machine
(G)  a filter, Buchner, or separatory funnel
(H)  an Erlenmeyer, two-neck, or single-neck flask
(I)  a round-bottom, Florence, thermometer, or filtering flask
(J)  a Soxhlet extractor
(K)  a transformer
(L)  a flask heater
(M)  a heating mantel  or