Interesting People mailing list archives

Intel: Moore's Law good until 2029

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 04:35:29 -0400

From: Randall Webmail <rvh40 () insightbb com>
Date: April 8, 2008 1:12:30 PM PDT
To: dewayne () warpspeed com, dave () farber net, johnmacsgroup () yahoogroups com
Subject: Intel:  Moore's Law good until 2029

Pat Gelsinger, head of the Digital Enterprise Division at Intel, says that Moore's Law will continue until 2029 with zettaflop supercomputers at that time. [link is to his Intel Developers Forum keynote address, 80 pages, From Petaflops to Milliwatts]

"I compare Moore's Law to driving down the road on a foggy night, how far can you see? Does the road stop after 100 metres? How far can you go?

"That's what it's been like with Moore's Law. We thought there were physical limits and we casually speak about going to 10 nanometres. "We have work going on different transistor structures. Silicon has become scaffolding for the rest of the periodic table. We're putting these other structures into the materials. We see no end in sight and we've had 10 years of visibility for the last 30 years."

[Lotsolinks & graphics at the site]

<http://nextbigfuture.com/2008/04/intel-forecasts-moores-law-to-continue.html >

<http://tinyurl.com/5w66zt>