Interesting People mailing list archives

Apple Slashes iPhone Price -- Anyone Feel Rooked?

From: David Farber <dfarber () cs cmu edu>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 16:31:50 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: September 5, 2007 4:22:25 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: lauren () vortex com
Subject: Apple Slashes iPhone Price -- Anyone Feel Rooked?

              Apple Slashes iPhone Price -- Anyone Feel Rooked?

                 http://lauren.vortex.com/archive/000282.html

Greetings.  Perhaps some observers will just consider this to be
standard operating business practices for Apple, but you really
gotta give Apple credit for raw guts.

Today, in conjunction with Steve "our customers love us so much that
we can do pretty much whatever we want" Jobs' announcement of yet
more iPod incarnations, Apple slashed the price of the top iPhone
model by one-third, and discontinued the lower-rung unit.

If most any other technology firm tried to pull such a stunt only
two months after a massive publicity campaign and related product
introduction, there would likely be lynch mobs forming outside
corporate headquarters.

But one suspects that most Apple acolytes may protesteth not, even
after forking over six bills so recently (without any cellular
carrier subsidies, either).

Will any early adopter iPhone customers complain that perhaps they
were just a wee bit taken advantage of by the timing of these
developments?  Or will they just smile and stare blankly at the
glossy face of their iPhones, while chanting an Apple-inspired
version of the Maha Mantra?

I may be a bit old fashioned when it comes to consumerism, and maybe
I'm out of touch in thinking that $200 is a significant amount of
money, but it seems to me that a bunch of people just got screwed.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren () vortex com or lauren () pfir org
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
http://www.pfir.org/lauren
Co-Founder, PFIR
   - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Founder, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com