Interesting People mailing list archives

Automated Translation to Sign Language using Avatar

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 07:48:01 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Paul Davey <ip () pdc co uk>
Date: September 16, 2007 5:29:53 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Automated Translation to Sign Language using Avatar

This may be of interest for IP.

IBM sponsored students have created a Automated Translation to Sign Language using an Avatar to display British Sign Language. But with another generic signing module language already added it is designed for easy extensibility - to ASL for example.

We see a lot more rapid repeats these days (often out of core hours) on British TV of programmes with signing added as a part of the regular picture.

Of course even now you could transmit an additional sub-channel with video based signing (like Closed Caption or Digital Teletext) on a broadcast signal - and use interactive MHEG5/Red Button features to display on demand.

But that optional image still needs some extra effort to transmit it, but perhaps we might even see this type of technology added to a TV or DVD playback devices as an option for displaying existing textual subtitles or voice sound tracks.

I can't see it being that hard to add to existing software playback options (if the processing power permits).

Details and summary:

Technology that translates spoken or written words into British Sign Language (BSL) has been developed by researchers at IBM.

The system, called SiSi (Say It Sign It) was created by a group of students in the UK.

SiSi will enable deaf people to have simultaneous sign language interpretations of meetings and presentations.

  It uses speech recognition to animate a digital character or avatar.

        Paul Davey <paul () pdc co uk>

The revolution will not be televised - the revolution is online.