Interesting People mailing list archives

US terror law 'unconstitutional'

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2007 08:34:01 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: dewayne () warpspeed com (Dewayne Hendricks)
Date: September 7, 2007 10:24:45 AM EDT
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <xyzzy () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] US terror law 'unconstitutional'

[Note:  This item comes from reader Ken DiPietro.  DLH]

From: "." <ken.dipietro () advantaq com>
Date: September 7, 2007 6:56:48 AM PDT
To: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Subject: The good intercept story deserves some balance.

US terror law 'unconstitutional'

A law allowing federal anti-terrorism agents to access information on the US public without a warrant has been ruled as unconstitutional by a US judge.

Victor Marrero said Congress exceeded its authority by allowing the FBI to keep requests secret under the Patriot Act, passed after the 9/11 attacks.

He said the act offended constitutional principles of checks and balances, and violated the guarantee of free speech.

The requests were mainly for financial, telephone and internet records.

Judge Marrero said his ruling would not take effect immediately, thus giving the government time to appeal.

[snip]

The full article can be read here: <http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/ americas/6982826.stm>

As a personal comment, one of the principles that this nation was founded on is best expressed by the statement, "Give me liberty or give me death."

I find it reprehensible that we, as a nation, have turned into such cowards that we would give up anything and everything for a poorly executed, false sense of security.

Ben Franklin would be appalled. [ He said They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Fri, Feb 17, 1775 djf]