Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: About the Dark Side

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 17:54:58 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Drzyzgula <bob () drzyzgula org>
Date: September 30, 2007 5:29:30 PM EDT
To: Ole Jacobsen <ole () cisco com>
Cc: David Farber <dave () farber net>, bob () drzyzgula org
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:    About the Dark Side

Ole,

Don't get me wrong, I'm not inclined to defend Apple so
much as claim that I sort of think I know where they are
coming from on this.

I see what you are saying in the first paragraph, except
that you may be missing my point about the uniform
experience -- I'm saying that, as things stand, if AT&T
offers a service for the iPhone that isn't available when
roaming, then all (authorized) iPhones will work the same
way -- they'll have that function available on the home
carrier, and will degrade in the same way when roaming. I
also mentioned that there were unavoidable localization
issues with the uniform-experience thing. However, I expect
that they are doing what they can to ensure identical
function within a given localization.

As for the second paragraph, again I think I see what you
are are saying, but if (a) the iTunes function requires
"magic" to happen between the carrier and iTunes, and (b)
you instead take the just-let-me-activate-it route with a
carrier that hadn't yet struck a deal with Uncle Steve,
would you not wind up with an iPhone without the iTunes
capability? Perhaps *you* would prefer that, but it isn't
clear that Apple would.

I suppose that the question becomes one of whether there
is sufficient interest in such an expensive and
highly-controlled device. In this regard, I guess it's
kind of up to the market. Not that I think that means we
shouldn't be complaining, because this is of course part
of the market's process. However, in my experience, there
are a whole lot of people out there who are not so concerned
about carrier choice so much as they are sick to death
of devices that only sort of work, and which one can only
sort of figure out. If Apple can satisfy those people,
it could well work out for them.

--Bob