Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: air headaches

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2007 04:31:24 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Jones, James-P63667" <James.Jones2 () gdc4s com>
Date: August 31, 2007 11:59:52 AM EDT
To: "James J. O'Donnell" <jod () georgetown edu>
Cc: <dave () farber net>
Subject: RE: [IP] air headaches

Jim,

Regarding satellite navigation and U.S. aircraft: While I don't have
numbers to back this statement up, I'll wager that most aircraft flying
today in the U.S. use some sort of GPS navigation system. While I
haven't been a pilot very long, every airworthy aircraft I've even
looked inside -- including World War 2-era P-51 Mustangs -- have had at
least one GPS unit, whether it be a simple portable aviation system or
something wired into the autopilot. They're just too useful for pilots
to have ignored.

Despite the near universal use of GPS in our aircraft, FAA Administrator
Marion Blakey stated just a few months ago that "GPS is the law of the
land in virtually every other business and logistic situation that we
have. Even hikers on a mountain use GPS. We are not using it in the
aviation system. We've got to transition." The airlines are also
publicly promoting the 'adoption' of GPS. In in-flight magazines this
summer, the airlines printed editorials to show how with the next
generation aircraft tracking technology (ADS-B) pilots will 'finally' be
able to use GPS to go straight from one airport to another without
following inefficient radio-navigation airways.

Comments like this make it sound like the U.S. air traffic control
system is fundamentally outdated. The reality is that I can file
so-called "direct" flight plans right now. Things are a little different
for the airlines, but from what I've heard that's mostly due to human
resistance to change, not technological limitations.

GPS-based ADS-B is the future, and air traffic control must be
modernized away from 30-second refresh radars; however, that
modernization will do nothing to address the two main causes of airline
delays: Weather and too many aircraft using too few runways. That's not
air traffic control's fault, it's not that Learjet's owner's fault
(though his one plane may be contributing). It's the airlines' fault.

The hub-and-spoke system that the airlines created won't scale without
more runways, and the airlines can't force the airport owners to build
new ones fast enough.

--
James 'J.C.' Jones
Software Engineer, General Dynamics C4 Systems

may contain GDC4S confidential or privileged information. Any
unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If
you are not an intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply
email and destroy all copies of the original message.