Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Zittrain on The Future of the Internet -- And How to Stop It

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 04:39:59 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Date: October 16, 2007 1:59:35 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Zittrain on The Future of the Internet -- And How to Stop It

I don't get this at all. What's in an Apple iPod/iPhone/iTouch morphs every year. And if you don't like what Apple does, just don't buy Steve's silly fantasy of control. Buy an N95 or an N800, for example.

I'm old enough to remember when Microsoft was the "open" platform, while Apple was as closed as it is today - remember the Lisa, which didn't even allow third party app developers to compete? Or Steve's assertion that "all software should be $50" because the value was in the hardware?

There are scary monopoly control points (that arise due to fiber rights-of-way and corruption between the FCC and its corporate clients on spectrum). But the appliances aren't monopolies today, and the content vendors and so forth don't want to be limited to exclusive deals with wannabe monopolists, especially appliance vendors like Steve.

David Farber wrote:
We have all been saying it. But of course no one remembers

Begin forwarded message: