Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: About the Dark Side

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 21:49:18 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "James Seng" <james () seng sg>
Date: September 30, 2007 8:16:42 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Re: [IP] About the Dark Side

Since the last time I have dinner with Ole where we discussed about
iPhone, I got myself an iPhone, hacked and unlocked for Singapore use.

It is one of the most amazing phone I have so far, and if I limited
myself to Email and casual browsing on GPRS (no EDGE here), I can live
without 3G - slow but good enough. VisualMail dont work of cos but it
hardly matters. It is the web browsing, the function as an iPod Video
(watching TED while driving is beautiful) and the Google Map, with
Navizon thats makes it incredible device.

I would also go on record I will pay additional US$200 or even more
for an unlock iPhone based on my experience. Afterall, all my Nokia
phones I have (N80/E61) are over US$600.

Back to Apple "dark side":

In most part of the world, the carrier is also the distributor of
phones. When I was helping a friend to setup a new 3G network in
Malaysia, the interaction with handset manufacturers focuses on how
many phones we can sell. And despite reminding them that Malaysia is
one of the exception (phones must be sold unlocked), they keep coming
back to us on the estimates sales.

So if you are releasing your first generation phone, however hyped,
your best bet is still going with the operator. And operator being
operator would likely to asked the phone to be locked as part of the
deal - which Apple did. It is a pragmatic business decision, either
that or don't get your phone in the store at all.

[Apple dont release the sale numbers but I am willing to bet that
Apple sells more iPhones via their own store than AT&T outlets. But
alas, 5 years...5 more years]

And when you are standing in front of a press conference of a tied up
with your latest O2 operator in UK and asked if you going fight all
these hacking and unlocking, the right answer at that time is not "Go
ahead, hack and unlock the iPhone".

I am not an apologist for Apple but I can understand why they did what
they did so far.

iPhone is going to change how phones are used. It is showing American
what it means to have a "Mobile Internet" that most Asian already
doing as part of their daily life.

-James Seng