Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: 2 on fingerprinting in Japan

From: David Farber <dfarber () cs cmu edu>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 20:28:57 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Joichi Ito <jito () neoteny com>
Date: November 22, 2007 4:26:14 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:   fingerprinting in Japan

The US requires fingerprints for many kinds of visas including some benefits for permanent residents. Also, I think they require a photograph showing your earlobe as another biometric. It's on your card. It is slightly different from requiring a finger print every time you enter the country, but it's not really true that "fingerprinting requirements don't apply to permanent residents."

See:
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=b6629c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=b6629c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

Also, as far as I know, the Japanese are not fingerprinting transit passengers. My understanding is that even if you are just connecting via a US city, you still have to fill out the forms and get scanning.

Basically I think that expecting us to go through US fingerprinting to visit the US, then deciding not to go to Japan because of fingerprinting is slightly hypocritical unless you have been vocally opposed to the fingerprinting in the US.

Anyway, maybe this is a good opportunity for American who travel to Japan to take a good look at what the US does to its visitors and be reflective. I think a lot of Japanese government behavior just tracks what the US does and often is "encouraged" by the US. See crypto exports, the new Japanese corporate law or "JSOX" and copyright terms for other examples.

- Joi