Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Internet could clog networks by 2010, study says

From: David Farber <dfarber () cs cmu edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 20:25:35 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Bob Frankston" <bob37-2 () bobf frankston com>
Date: November 21, 2007 7:53:08 PM EST
To: <dave () farber net>, <ip () v2 listbox com>
Cc: "'Dewayne Hendricks'" <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Subject: RE: [IP] Internet could clog networks by 2010, study says

Oy again? Wasn’t the phone system supposed to collapse due to modems?

The report is too full of nonsense to rebut in detail so the real question is who paid for the report and their goals. At http://www.nemertes.com/ they have the chutzpah to emphasize that it’s anindependent study. The longer version is at http://www.nemertes.com/internet_singularity_delayed_why_limits_internet_capacity_will_stifle_innovation_web .

At least when Bob Metcalfe warned of the Internet collapsing he had a sense of humor and didn't attempt to write academic-sounding reports.

Perhaps the absurdity is evident in their statement “This resulted in the first-ever study that assessed both infrastructure investment and current/projected traffic patterns independently, and compared the two. It is also the first study to apply Moore’s Law (or something very like it) to the pace of application innovation on the “Net” and validate that it appears to conform to the available data so far.” They are willing to apply Moore’s law to increasing demand but not to the ability to take advantage of existing technology. This is completely backwards – the point of the end-to-end constraint is that we take advantage of opportunities – the applications adapt to what is available and it’s not just about more video from a central source – just the opposite! The highest value applications put the least demand on the infrastructure! (OK, TV has high value but…)

They do say that the backbone will scale but the problem is in the access network. Their solution, no surprise, is more of that Olde Tyme Broadband. Of course the solution is more money for “broadband” even as the industry works at a furious pace to prevent a repeat of the overcapacity of the “fiber bubble”. It’s as if we need to pay the carriers from continuing to keep their capacity unavailable and wasting it in using their last mile networks in broadcast TV mode.

"Want a seamless end-to-end network?" was the tagline for the ad that greeting me going to the site. Of course that's a womb-to-tomb model. It gives a sense that this is part of the IPSphere mentality warning us that we need protection from the wrath of the network owners if we deny them the money they demand to fund their networks.