Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Devices Enforce Cellular Silence, Sweet but Illegal Side tone and cell phones --

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 10:02:53 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "RJR rjriley.com" <rjr () rjriley com>
Date: November 4, 2007 6:44:14 PM EST
To: <dave () farber net>, <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: RE: [IP] Devices Enforce Cellular Silence, Sweet but Illegal Side tone and cell phones --

This is a bit more complicated than giving the user feedback of their own voice. Another aspect of this is how high the ambient noise level is during a call. The higher the noise level the harder it is to hear the person you
are talking to and it is natural to compensate by talking louder.

As far as the bank goes and their objections to use of cell phones I say
tough.  The solution to this is to not have twenty minute lines.  Any
business who does not have a solid monopoly who keeps me waiting that long
finds that I take my business elsewhere.

What this bank needs to do is cut the wait as much as possible and create processes to make waits more convenient. For example why not call people by number and offer phone booth sized cubicles to lower noise levels while they
are waiting?

The banking industry is to put to put it mildly arrogant... and greedy. A few years ago I started transferring all my business to credit unions (and encouraging other start-ups to do the same). What has become Chase has now lost about a dozen accounts. I only have two left to transfer. These are
business and personal accounts.

I am considering switching from credit cards to debit for many of the
entities, to cut the banking industry out of all the tolls they are
collecting on the credit cards.  I have not needed credit in many years.
The only reason to use the cards is convenience. And while on the issue of credit cards I get lots of feedback from members of our organizations and I strongly urge people to use credit unions rather than banks and to stay as far away from American Express as possible. The only thing Amex does well
is milk their customers.

Good business is based on equitable profit and in business to business deals
mutual profit.

One last swipe at the banking and insurance industries who are key players
in the outrageous property grab they like to call patent reform.  The
highlight of the banking industry's inventiveness is creating ever larger
and more outrageous fees.  And the insurance industry's claim to fame is
stiffing people out of their due.

Ronald J. Riley,

President - www.PIAUSA.org - RJR at PIAUSA.org
Executive Director - www.InventorEd.org - RJR at InvEd.org
Washington, DC
Direct (202) 318-1595 - 9 am to 9 pm EST.