Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Verizon 'revises' wireless broadband T&Cs

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 10:02:02 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David S. Isenberg (isen)" <isen () isen com>
Date: November 5, 2007 9:26:14 AM EST
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Verizon 'revises' wireless broadband T&Cs

Dave,

[For IP list subject to your editorial discretion . . .]

I commend Verizon Wireless for taking a big step in the right
direction by acknowledging that there's a specific threshold for
"too much," to wit, 5GB in any billing period.  In addition, I am glad
that Verizon Wireless is now specifying the throttling speed, 200 Kbps,
max.  It is a Very Good Thing that Verizon Wireless is acknowledging
the specific parameters it is actually using!
Their TOS: http://b2b.vzw.com/broadband/bba_terms.html

The right to know the actual specifics of service was the Powell FCC's
#4 Internet Freedom, see my http://tinyurl.com/ysvem9
It was replaced by the Martin FCC's entitlement to competition among
provider, a weaker provision if we can't know which competitor to choose
because we don't have the info about what each competitor offers.

Verizon Wireless still has a ways to go.  Its specs are, "subject to
change, in our reasonable discretion." Yeah? Why not, "subject to change
after reasonable notice"? Or "subject to change upon plan renewal"?

Finally I question why Verizon wants to throttle on an app by app basis.
(It says, " . . . we reserve the right to reduce throughput speeds of
any application that would otherwise exceed such speed . . ." )
Wouldn't it be simpler and just as effective for Verizon Wireless to
throttle the speed of all apps once the 5GB is exceeded?  The beauty
of having specific throughput caps and throttling limits is that
there's no need to discriminate on an app by app basis! Unless, of
course, your interest extends beyond simple network management.

David I
-------