Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: good question -- fingerprinting in Japan

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 19:19:09 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Edward Almasy [mailto:ealmasy () axisdata com]
Sent: Sunday, November 25, 2007 3:42 PM
To: Klaas Wierenga
Cc: David Farber
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: good question -- fingerprinting in Japan

On Nov 22, 2007, at 3:16 PM, Klaas Wierenga wrote:
Surely the IP-readers can not mean that there
are two standards for civil liberties, one for Americans and one
for the
rest of the world....

As an American and a patriot, I would very much like to see
two standards for civil liberties:  one for the rest of the world,
and a higher one for America and the American government.  Given
the genesis of our country and our oft-professed love of freedom, we
should be leading the world in protecting and advancing civil rights,
not riding the cutting edge in the opposite direction, and I hope
that you and others outside the U.S. know that there are many, many
Americans who feel this way.

Ed