Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Censorship Run Amok: XM, Big Money at the FCC, and the Rest

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 08:56:12 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: EEkid () aol com
Date: May 18, 2007 6:05:14 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Censorship Run Amok: XM, Big Money at the FCC, and the Rest

Mr. Weinstein makes an interesting point. Where does censorship end and freedom of speech begin?

Yesterday, I listened to Tony Blair and George Bush meet with the press. During their presentation it was mentioned that there were protesters nearby [in a free speech zone] and that neither candidate knew whether they were in support of the two leaders or speaking out against them. One commented "that's democracy". When we carefully place "free speech zones" such that the world's leaders are isolated from the comments of protesters, haven't we effectively cleansed free speech and made it more palitable for our rulers? Is this what the founding fathers envisioned when they gave our people the right to free speech? Did they envision a world where we can say what we want in designated areas as long as it doesn't interfere with those at the top of government?

During a recently aired episode of Penn and Tellers cable show "Bullshit", they traveled around the country and attempted to get American's to sign a fake petition restricting free speech within 300 yards of the US Capitol building. Stating something to the effect that it would preserve our national heritage. It was amazing that not only were people willing to sign the petition, but they commented that it was the right thing to do. Of course, later in the show they showed people who would not sign it.

When American's are willing to restrict free speech and apparently do not understand the implications of doing so, what does this mean for our country in the long term?

While what "Opie and Anthony" did on the air probably came close to being criminal behavior, after all it did discuss the joy of raping a woman who is a top US public official, is it just a censorship foot in the door? If we can restrict the open speech of a closed for pay media vehicle such as XM, when will they be able to restrict free speech in closed, pay to enter, comedy clubs? Once we have restricted free speech in comedy clubs, what about private clubs, political clubs and finally the homes of Americans?

When Mr. Stern says "If you want free speech, walk in a closet and talk to yourself." he could be predicting a future American tradition of home free speech zones. After all, maybe it would protect our national heritage...

Jerry