Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: a comment on "Phones studied as attack detector"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 19:09:45 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: EEkid () aol com
Date: May 13, 2007 6:47:52 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] a comment on "Phones studied as attack detector"

I can see it now, some poor soul has a nuclear stress test or a nuclear thyroid treatment and a day later the DHS guys kick in their door thinking they're building a dirty bomb... : )

There are so many potential false triggers from an array of chemical, biological or nuclear sources in the workplace of many government, industry, research or medical facilities that this whole idea seems nearly impossible to implement in the field.

Can you envision, a "no fly" list or "no travel" list based on repeated triggers of cellphone sensors? Half the researchers and medical folk in the country would be on it. Not to mention a long list of government employees.

My workplace has over two tons of uranium and numerous other nuclear sources, not to mention a staggering array of chemicals. Half the employees I've seen seem to have a cell phone in their possession most of the time.

This can't possibly work as planned...

Jerry