Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: $10 laptops from HRD Ministry, India

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2007 20:43:50 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: lockergnome () hefam com
Date: May 6, 2007 3:01:40 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>, ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: [IP] Re: $10 laptops from HRD Ministry, India

Begin forwarded message:

From: Gene Spafford <spaf () cerias purdue edu>
Date: May 6, 2007 11:26:20 AM EDT
To: ip () v2 listbox com
Cc: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] $10 laptops from HRD Ministry, India

There is a more fundamental problem with distributing all these cheap laptops in various places around the world.

Where is the investment to educate the new users about proper use of the technology? About security? About avoiding dangerous activities?

Does anyone seriously believe that these machines -- whether $100 from Negroponte's group or $10 from India, or anywhere else -- won't quickly be assimilated into bot networks?

[...]

And are the machines being distributed into countries that have the resources for good law enforcement for IT-related crime?

Are there any such countries?

Tangentially,

LEAs are routinely overwhelmed by
- lack of experience and technical knowledge
- lack of resources (computer crime labs)
- lack of money for the above and
- a different set of priorities i.e. physical crime.
- lack of purpose-built laws
- lack of political will

Prosecuting a computer crime case is still very much a crap-shoot, with not only LEAs in need of training but also prosecutors and judges.

I am a member of the Canadian federal Task Force on Spam <http:// stopspamhere.ca>, and the London Action Plan <http:// londonactionplan.org> and I can assure you I hear the refrains above to the point of them being a din.

Now, back on-topic. Whenever I hear about the Negroponte plan, or my government's insistence on ensuring that every habitable and inhabitable point in Canada has broad-band Internet access, I am also left wondering how mankind got by for millennia without the benefit of instantaneous access to naked Russian teenagers. What's that you say? They will be used for education? OK, then, I guess we never had any of _that_ before the 1990s either ... we sat around, unintellectual, uneducated dullards bairly able 2 mk a scentence. Good thing the Inuit and the native teenagers who feel such despair at being less-than their white peers that they have a suicide rate 3 times their average, and those in the squalid slums of India will have IM and Facebook, Mysapce, and eBay.
--
Neil Schwartzman
http://welikeballs.com

"Internet access providers, companies that engage in the business of connecting people to the Internet for profit ... assume the role of Internet censors, arbitrarily closing accounts of those of whom they disapprove." - Martha (C&S) Siegel