Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: The House of Representatives on campus downloading

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 19:55:28 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Frankston <Bob2-19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: May 4, 2007 6:23:55 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, ip () v2 listbox com
Cc: "'Larry Press'" <lpress () csudh edu>
Subject: RE: [IP] The House of Representatives on campus downloading

I should preface this with reminding people that the term P2P has taken on a life of its own. In reality the Internet is 100% peer to peer – all exchanges are peer exchanges. Alas, we seem to be in the phase the auto-mobile industry faced when laws were passed to assure cars wouldn’t disrupt horses.

Once again the US seems determined to do the world a favor by ceding technology leadership – like the 19th century when Europe used its patent laws to assure that no new idea went exploited. Instead the initiative shifted to the Americans who didn’t feel they were bound by such restrictive rules.

When the “authorities” do embrace technology they miss the point. Today’s New York Times has a front page story on how laptops are not proving to be an effective tool in education. Of course this is a true “duh” situation. Next I expect to read articles about why vaccinations is useless – after all, if you order 100,000 vaccines and just pile them up in some corner then they won’t do much good. Is there any understanding that the laptop is not a magical device that works by just taking up space? It requires teachers and others with some sense of how to use it. Even if the teachers don’t the students may but, again, not by magic. There are studies showing that if you put a laptop in the middle of a village in India students will being to explore and discover what is possible But if you drop a laptop into a sea of iPods then it’s unlikely to be very interesting by comparison with the narcotic effect of the iPod. Yet we consider iPods to be technology.

Of course those who do take initiative to do more with the laptop than use it as a 1:1 replacement for what they already have then they will be considered disruptive. If we succeed in preventing such disruption then we’ll succeed preventing discovery. But then in an education system focused on testing for memorizing the past then such losses may result in improved grades and thus the illusion of learning. This recalls the great productive crisis of the 90’s when any productivity improvements due to computers didn’t show up in the standard measures.

Seymour Paper didn’t merely drop computers (in those days, terminals though today the OneLaptop project) into classrooms. He also developed programming tools and helped students take advantage of computing itself.

Today we have very powerful tools available to all yet many schools still treat computing as “keyboarding”. How many schools teach even elementary concepts of data representation? At very least we should be encouraging the development of peer applications to support collaborative projects and encourage students to take advantage of bountiful local capacity. Yet …

Those who do not know history may be doomed to repeat it but those who know only the past seem mired in it.

But at least we’ll protect our entertainment industry – after all, if we can’t produce new products at least we can entertain those who do.

PS: Sadly Seymour was injured last December though, according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seymour_Papert he is facing a uncertain recovery process.