Interesting People mailing list archives

The Monument

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 11:35:26 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: egor () kobylkin com
Date: May 1, 2007 7:48:49 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] Digest 1.1346 for ip

Hello there,

not to start a flame but just to make sure the quotation of CNN does not stand alone as one-sided propaganda. I'm not sure if the quotation really added much value to the post, but anyways. So here is my bit of propaganda (if irony fits here at all), hope this will help to build an informed opinion.

The Monument is not to the Red Army as a organisation but to the Soldiers of that Army, which were killed in Estonia liberating this country from Faschists. There were more than dosen of millions them died in that war. Have my grandfather and grandmother, who fought as well, had less luck, I would not be writing these lines now. The same holds to a few tens of millions of Russian Federation citisens.

Also not to be forgotten, that Soviet Army and US Army and UK were fighting on the same side in that war, and for a good cause.

So from a side of antifaschist coalition survivors descendant the mere "disputability" of that memorial does not put the city authorities in a pleasant light. What is there to dispute about dead solgiers, leave them rest in peace! Go build your political capital on creative work, not digging up graves. No wonder both sides use the incident in a disgusting propaganda war.

Hope this helps,
Egor Kobylkin
P.S. I live in Germany since 6 years now, so don't take me for a ultra-patriot, I could not care less about the political notion of a "country".