Interesting People mailing list archives

The great Sarasota undervote mystery

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 06:37:34 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Roger Dannenberg <rbd () cs cmu edu>
Date: May 3, 2007 9:17:53 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] The great Sarasota undervote mystery

For IP if you wish:

Stephen Unger's analysis at http://www1.cs.columbia.edu/~unger/myBlog/ endsandmeansblog.html dismisses the idea that poor design caused voters to miss the congressional race, using a rather weak analogy to another ballot. Having seen the Sarasota ballot pages in sequence, I think there's no comparison to the Mecklenburg County ballot. What's the basis for claiming the latter is "far more clumsy"?

These questions could be put to rest using a fairly small study using human subjects and simulations of the ballots. I overheard someone say there was such a study, but I don't know the details -- maybe someone here can provide a reference.

Mike Shamos gave a very interesting lecture on the report at CMU recently. www.cylab.cmu.edu says webcast archives are available via "the members-only portal"

-Roger Dannenberg