Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Bilking the Elderly, With a Corporate Assist

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 08:28:33 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "RJR RJRiley.com" <RJR () RJRILEY com>
Date: May 26, 2007 8:46:40 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] Bilking the Elderly, With a Corporate Assist

Begin forwarded message:

From: Monty Solomon <monty () roscom com>
Date: May 25, 2007 10:53:00 PM EDT
To: undisclosed-recipient:;
Subject: Bilking the Elderly, With a Corporate Assist

Bilking the Elderly, With a Corporate Assist

By CHARLES DUHIGG
The New York Times
May 20, 2007

<<The thieves operated from small offices in Toronto and hangar-size rooms in India. Every night, working from lists of names and phone numbers, they called World War II veterans, retired schoolteachers and thousands of other
elderly Americans and posed as government and insurance workers updating
their files.>>

<<Then, the criminals emptied their victims' bank accounts.>>

Dave, for IP if you wish.

Have you ever seen one of the TV commercials offering to help with an
invention? They are all frauds, and they are skinning people, especially retirees, for typically 10 to 50 thousand dollars. The worst case I have
seen topped $400,000!  This industry is collectively scamming people for
over $500 million a year.

The hot spots of this kind of fraud are Pittsburg, San Francisco, San Diego,
Miami, and Kansas City.

I am the founder of a number of inventor organizations, one of which
(www.InventorEd.org) is the leader in fighting invention promotion fraud.
We have infiltrated a number of the most deserving companies and we have
been collecting data on both the companies and the sales and management
staff. We find that people working for one company often show up at another company or even start their own companies. A number of promoters have used
SLAPP to silence their victims.

We routinely supply data to media and law enforcement agencies.  We have
been the instigator of a number of enforcement actions involving invention
promoters whose conduct has been especially egregious.

Ronald J. Riley,

President - www.PIAUSA.org - RJR at PIAUSA.org
Executive Director - www.InventorEd.org - RJR at InvEd.org
Washington, DC
Direct (202) 318-1595 - 9 am to 9 pm EST.