Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: NSF announces GENI Project Office and no threat from P2P

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 13:10:14 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Frankston <bob37-2 () bobf frankston com>
Date: May 21, 2007 12:54:58 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, ip () v2 listbox com
Cc: dpreed () reed com, "'Craig Partridge'" <craig () aland bbn com>
Subject: RE: [IP] NSF announces GENI Project Office and no threat from P2P

Am I missing something but this seems to hark back to the days of making the network smarter and the users dumber. Why do we assume that the most interesting applications require dedicated resources? Is this about Hollywood or about sharing information? Now we want the network to guarantee security – are we so desperate for “peace of mind” that we’d rather return to the past then deal with reality? Reminds me of the peace of mind that people find in Intelligent Design.

I’d feel far more comfortable if GENI funded efforts to understand connected applications rather than trying to make a smarter network or “a new communications infrastructure built alongside the Internet” as if the Internet were a physical object not a concept.

Alas, this slicing up the substrate into predefined managed middles sounds like just the opposite of the defining concept of the end-to- end Internet. It makes the applications dependent upon highly valuable assured bits which is a return to the world of the center- defined telephone system. By assuring dependency it breaks the fundamental dynamic that has made the Internet work so well. In today’s Internet (prototype) applications are not dependent upon any particulars of the path and thus we've been able to take advantage of an abundance of "junk bits".

What is glaringly absent from all these efforts is supporting the Internet at the edge or, more to the point, from the edge. The networks in our homes must operate completely without any dependency on any part of the network outside -- thus you cannot rely on an IP address allocation or the DNS if you are to send a message from your light switch to your light fixture. You can then interconnect your network to your neighbors’ networks without depending on any network elements from others. And eventually you will connect the world without any dependency upon the benevolence of ICANN or ARIN and you will not depend on the DNS for stability.

Yet all this research seems to be going in just the opposite direction and is assuring that the applications will be fatally dependent upon a synthetic and sterile version of the real world. The real world exists, the P2P and other communities have embraced it. But the real Internet is far too frightening to those who want to buy solutions to well-defined problems. Better to defang it and assure that only good applications will be funded and that it will be the 1950's again with The Internet Company assuring the proper allocation of resources for each application. What’s the difference between TIC and TPC?

Remember that a BBN spinoff Genuity bet the company on selling high value bits and it lost the bet. If our military thinks that this is good design then we have every reason to be very afraid.