Interesting People mailing list archives

: Jet passengers may not get to chat on cellphones after all -- but ...

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 02:36:14 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Frankston <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: March 23, 2007 2:21:37 AM EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Jet passengers may not get to chat on cellphones after all -- but ...

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/telecom/2007-03-21-fcc- usat_N.htm

After I sent this the first time I mulled a little and it’s possible that the cellular carriers may find this to be their worst nightmare because if Wi-Fi is allowed then we’ll be forced to use VoIP instead of cellar and that may break cellular’s control on wireless voice. I hope JetBlue doesn’t try to do us favors with just (AKA, flying Blackberries – or Raspberries) messaging and instead provides general IP access. Same for AirCell which mentions web surfing and corporate networks – I worry that they will do proxies and then waste a lot of money and time wondering why people aren’t making full use of their services. The danger is that the Blackberry users will provide enough revenue to make it look like a success because few will realize how much more, very very much more, is possible.

How many times to I have to remind people that the Internet has nothing to do with telecom other than using it as a transport and doing a far better job at doing telecom by letting people create their own solutions?

Jet passengers may not get to chat on cellphones after all

By Paul Davidson, USA TODAY

The once-highflying idea of letting passengers use their wireless phones on airplanes is about to be grounded.

Federal Communications Commission Chairman Kevin Martin is recommending the FCC drop its tentative plan to lift its ban on in- flight cellphone use, three agency officials say. They asked to remain anonymous because the proposal is still being considered

….

[[While it’s nice that they are considering Wi-Fi I can’t help but think of the Federal Speech Commission once again extending its mission to keep us from things that annoy some people]]

. . .

Blumenstein says. A $10-per-trip AirCell service slated to roll out by early 2008 would let passengers use Wi-Fi-equipped laptops to e- mail, surf the Web and access corporate networks. JetBlue, meanwhile, has said it may introduce an in-flight e-mail and text-messaging service later this year.

Archives: http://v2.listbox.com/member/archive/247/@now