Interesting People mailing list archives

More on IPA Software effort Brief trip report on 1 week in Japan

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 09:35:40 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Adam Peake <ajp () glocom ac jp>
Date: March 6, 2007 4:33:05 AM EST
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>, schorr () isi edu
Subject: Re: Fwd: [IP] Brief trip report on 1 week in Japan

Dave, Herb:

(Dave, please forward to IP if you wish)

The projects are part of a program called the Exploratory Software Project run by Information-technology Promotion Agency (IPA), an agency of the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (what was MITI). See <http://www.ipa.go.jp/english/humandev/third.html>

Brief introductions to the projects you managed in 2006 at:

<http://www.ipa.go.jp/jinzai/esp/2006mito1/gaiyou/6-6.html>
<http://www.ipa.go.jp/jinzai/esp/2006mito1/gaiyou/6-2.html>
<http://www.ipa.go.jp/jinzai/esp/2006mito1/gaiyou/6-1.html>

Some Japanese on the page, but also English text introducing each project. Nothing about the 2007 group online as yet.

Usually the projects are for individual researchers or small 2, 3, 4 person teams. The students are quite young, under 28 years, a mix of Masters and PhD students (some recent post doc, but not so many) and the funding's quite high: your 3 range from 7,950,000 to 12,008,000 yen (7,950,000 yen is about $68,000.) Students should be resident in Japan (I belive at an accredited university/research institution), but not necessarily Japanese -- one of your students last year was Chinese, and a team this year is lead by a guy from Sri Lanka. Aim is to help people learn how to manage complex software projects and to produce results.

The projects run for 9 months, usually between 30 and 40 projects selected in each round. Project managers, like you, mentor between 2 and 6 or 7 projects at a time. Graduates from the program are considered highly by industry, particularly the top 20% who are awarded a "super creator" status. These attract interest from large companies for employment or support, and from investors.

Concern in Japan at the moment that universities aren't turning out graduates with the computer skills industries need, and computing and technology subjects are becoming less popular with university entrants. This program's one attempt to fix things.

Best,

Adam

Begin forwarded message: