Interesting People mailing list archives

help on profiles? from film maker Germany

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 09:22:06 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Max Zeitler <maxzeitler () do4d com>
Date: March 12, 2007 6:23:47 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net, ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: help on profiles?

Dave,

for IP if you wish,

as a film maker in Berlin I am currently researching about digital identity (for potential docufiction). After some meditation I decided to post some questions to IP. I hope this won't be considered IP- abuse, since i'm not posting information...

Can someone help me with precise information about what categories of data the various data-brokers and government-agencies really have. I have read a lot of articles and books about (mostly US-based) data- mining-projects and companies but I failed (completely) trying to understand what these individual profiles exactly look like. Here in Germany it was made clear to me that data-brokers won't tell what they've got. So, I guess I'm trying the impossible. nevertheless, help/comments on the following questions would be greatly appreciated:

- Are there any samples somewhere, what ChoicePoint-/Acxiom-/ LexisNexis- or homeland security-profiles exactly look like? (I assume: name / birth / adress / income / most of the 34 categories of flight PNR-data / data from loyalty-programs / criminal records)
what else is included?

- Can data-brokers get mobile-phone/GPS-data? Do they have motion- profiles?

- What do the resulting "behaviour profiles" exactly look like? Again, any samples?

- and: what can they do with the data?
(i know of: direct marketing, credit-scoring, call-center-scoring, police/immigration/terror-screening)

- Or are these profiles indeed mostly inefficient? (as Dave suggested in his comment's on the total inefficiency of the use of PNR-data thru homeland-security (in vienna, october 2006))

thanks for comments, my apologies for asking so many questions and best wishes from berlin,

- max

ps: just ID myself, this is our last completed project: www.koenigsberg-is-dead.de (in German)

Archives: http://v2.listbox.com/member/archive/247/@now