Interesting People mailing list archives

Real ID update

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 15:35:02 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Stanley, Jay" <JStanley () dcaclu org>
Date: March 8, 2007 3:30:35 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Real ID update

Dave,

Idaho opted out of Real ID today, becoming the second state to say "no thanks," along with Maine. And there are a lot of other states moving in the same direction (we have a map that tracks them online at http://www.realnightmare.org/news/105/).

This is important because the whole point of Real ID is to have a uniform national identity document, and when even a few states reject it, the whole concept falls apart.

When DHS issued its regulations last week it made a lot of noise about granting an extension for compliance with Real ID. But apparently that hasn't slowed down the rebellion in the states. We've actually seen a lot of action in the states in just the last week.

Also we issued an ACLU Real ID "Scorecard" this morning summarizing our analysis of the new regulations. We listed every issue with Real ID that we could find and systematically looked at how many of those problems have been addressed by the regs. The answer: very few (9% to be exact).

The Scorecard is also on our Real ID site at www.realnightmare.org

- Jay

Jay Stanley
Public Education Director, Technology and Liberty Project
ACLU
202-715-0818 (office) 202-222-8398 (mobile)

Archives: http://v2.listbox.com/member/archive/247/@now