Interesting People mailing list archives

C-SPAN and Congress

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 17:01:38 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Carl Malamud <carl () media org>
Date: March 7, 2007 4:06:59 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: C-SPAN and Congress

Hi -

C-SPAN issued this press release:

http://www.c-span.org/about/press/release.asp?code=video

The first hearing under the new policy is live here:

http://www.archive.org/details/gov.house.cha.05252006-dvd

We would never have even had this discussion if the U.S. Congress
had provided an adequate video record of public proceedings.  Congress
should commit to providing broadcast-quality video for download
on the Internet for every public hearing.  A hearing is not public
unless the public can be there and in this day and age that means
video on the Internet.

C-SPAN did a really, really good thing today.  Our public
civic life will be much richer because of their actions.

Best regards,

Carl

Archives: http://v2.listbox.com/member/archive/247/@now