Interesting People mailing list archives

Gmail service level problems

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 06:13:01 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "James J. O'Donnell" <jod () georgetown edu>
Date: March 27, 2007 8:37:22 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Gmail service level problems

From PC World online (http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,130187/ article.html):

For at least the third time this month, Google is grappling with
performance and availability problems in the Gmail service of Google
Apps, the suite of hosted services that many consider a potential
threat to Microsoft's Office suite of desktop software.

The latest problem began affecting users on Tuesday morning (EDT). It
remained unresolved Tuesday evening, affecting also regular Gmail
users who aren't on Google Apps, according to a company spokesman.

"A number of Gmail users are having some difficulty accessing and
sending mail, and we are working as quickly as we can to resolve the
problem. Some Google Apps accounts are also affected," he wrote via
e-mail. "We know how important e-mail is to our users, so we take
issues like this very seriously."

The "Premier Edition" of Gmail/Apps (offers 10GB of storage space for
$50/year, up from the 2.8GB that you get for free) commits to a 99.9%
uptime, which translates to all but about 8 hours/year.

Jim O'Donnell
Georgetown

Archives: http://v2.listbox.com/member/archive/247/@now