Interesting People mailing list archives

"InfoWorld is not dead"

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 10:39:44 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Steven Cherry <s.cherry () ieee org>
Date: March 26, 2007 10:31:38 AM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: "InfoWorld is not dead"

http://weblog.infoworld.com/techwatch/archives/010942.html

March 26, 2007

InfoWorld folds print mag to focus on online and events

Yes, the rumors are true. As of April 2, 2007, InfoWorld is discontinuing its print component. No more printing on dead trees, no more glossy covers, no more supporting the US Post Office in its rush to get thousands of inky copies on subscribers' desks by Monday morning (or thereabouts). The issue that many of you will receive in your physical mailbox next week -- vol. 29, issue 14 -- will be the last one in InfoWorld's storied 29-year history.

But let me dispel any other rumors. InfoWorld is not dead. We're not going anywhere. We are merely embracing a more efficient delivery mechanism --the Web -- at InfoWorld.com. You can still get all the news coverage, reviews, analysis, opinion, and commentary that InfoWorld is known for. You'll just have to access it in a browser (or RSS reader) -- something more than a million of you already do every month.

[....]

InfoWorld, though, is a for-profit business not unlike the businesses many of you run or work for. I am an editor, which means I answer to the readers, not the advertisers. That will never change. Nonetheless, I also know how the business works, or in some cases, doesn't work. The ad-driven economic model that supported print magazines for years (publishers deliver a steady stream of highly qualified readers, and advertisers pay for the privilege of putting ads in front of them) is unraveling. Given the alternative, advertisers want more immediate gratification and measureable results than print can afford them. On the Web, they can know who and how many people are viewing their message; they can target specific audiences and know exactly what they are getting. They can engage potential customers directly in ways print magazines never allowed. There's no more guesswork.

<snip>

--
   Steven Cherry, +1 212-419-7566
   Senior Associate Editor