Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: cellphones on planes / AT&T history

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 14:58:33 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: John Shoch <shoch () alloyventures com>
Date: March 25, 2007 2:39:08 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, ip () v2 listbox com
Cc: "Mike O'Dell (E-mail)" <modell () nea com>, John Shoch <shoch () alloyventures com>
Subject: RE: [IP] cellphones on planes / AT&T history

Dave and Mike,

1. On a personal basis I certainly share Mike's view that we don't need people sitting at our elbow on a plane yelling into cell phones. [When confronted with a cell phone user at an adjacent table in a restaurant I often ask the inconsiderate person to step outside; I really like the idea of trying this on a plane....]

I don't now if this will be controlled by FCC policy, airline policy, social pressure, or market pressures. But years ago I liked Morris Air (a non-smoking airline) and regularly stayed in the "Non-Smokers Inn" in Dallas. A NYT article from 22 years ago: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/ fullpage.html?sec=travel&res=9E0DE0DB1038F931A3575AC0A962948260

2. Thus, I have no desire to encourage cell phone use on planes. But I also have to remind everyone that, in answer to Mike's question, there was a famous "device which does for the mouth what earphones do for the ears."

Many people know of the famous Carterfone case, which was about an electrical device which connected to the phone -- AT&T tried to ban the device, but eventually lost, helping to open up the market for third-party phones. But in 1956 (over 50 years ago, and 12 years before Carterfone) there was the Hush-A-Phone case: sort of a small cone or mouthpiece attached to a phone to collect and contain a speaker's voice.

Info at:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hush-a-Phone_v._FCC
Pictures at: http://www.technovelgy.com/ct/Science-Fiction-News.asp? NewsNum=301

It's an amusing story: the Hush-A-Phone started in the 1920's as an attachment for a "candle-stick" style phone, and was sold for decades; a later version was an attachment to handsets. As recounted here http://www.uh.edu/engines/epi1222.htm#cite1, apparently an AT&T lawyer on his lunch-break saw one in a shop window, and decided to sue to stop this unauthorized attachment to a phone. The FCC supported AT&T, but on appeal the case was overturned, and the FCC was ordered to allow these "foreign attachments." Thus, an over-eager AT&T lawyer precipitated what many view as the first small crack in the AT&T monopoly.

The short decision can be found at: http://www.cavebear.com/ialc/ hush-a-phone.htm. An excerpt from the ruling: "To say that a telephone subscriber may produce the result in question [**7] by cupping his hand and speaking into it, but may not do so by using a device which leaves his hand free to write or do whatever else he wishes, is neither just nor reasonable. The intervenors' tariffs, under the Commission's decision, are in unwarranted interference with the telephone subscriber's right reasonably to use his telephone in ways which are privately beneficial without being publicly detrimental."

John Shoch
Alloy Ventures