Interesting People mailing list archives

broadband connections Re:

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 07:00:05 +0900

Begin forwarded message:

From: Michael Kende <Michael.Kende () analysys com>
Date: March 1, 2007 6:39:41 PM JST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] broadband connections

Dave,

Analysys recently did a study that may be of interest here - we surveyed
the measured speed of broadband connections against the advertised
maximum speeds in thirteen different countries.  There are speed test
utilities available from websites that aim to measure the actual
download speeds on broadband lines, and users can post the results on
websites to help inform other customers, and we collected these numbers.
Of course survey sizes in each country can vary, so we can't assign any
statistical significance to the results, but we think the results
provide a good indication of differences across countries.  We found
that, in general, the greater the advertised maximum download speed, the
greater the shortfall in measured speed, with some services measuring
only 40% of the top advertised speeds.  The study also shows differences
in the way that services are offered.  The study can be downloaded from
www.analysysconsulting.com (under Survey of International Broadband
Offerings).  The study was sponsored by AT&T.

Michael