Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Techdirt: Net Neutrality Debate Again Descends Into Shouting, Farce

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 06:54:06 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: k claffy <kc () caida org>
Date: June 26, 2007 2:53:44 AM EDT
To: Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh () hserus net>

i'm rolling my eyes at how misquoted i am in this article.
i guess that's what i get for speaking at mach 10;
reporters just reconstruct words they didn't hear.
someday i will learn.

i never said 99% of traffic was spam, how silly.

i said, as an example, 99% of my email was spam.  (i might
have said 'probably', i was trying to make a point about how
little we understand the nature of the Internet because we
have so little data.  david moore actually analyzes (opt-in)
spam for folks at caida, so we could get rough numbers on my
email, but the spam filters don't get everything, and as suresh
points out, there is no spam bit.)

it's also not clear that we've figured out what units spam is
usefully measured in.  universities are spending 6+ figures per
year dealing w spam, which makes me think the cost of spam,
among other even costlier pollution on the network, will come up
sooner or later in the broadband debates.  as will even more
important issues, like copyright.

wrt costlier pollution, i'm surprised the thurs morning panel
of supernova wasn't covered, where they gave figures on the
underground economy, e.g., one panelist said you could buy an
entire identity (inc credit card numbers, checking account #,
drivers license, social security, etc) online for $14.  i have
no idea whether that's true, but have to admit it was more
quantitative data than anyone offered in the 700Mhz tussle
everyone considered so signficant.  fwiw, i went on right after
john kneuer, and it seemed less like hostility and more like
both sides were contributing passion to the debate rather than
quantitative empirical data.  i did warn the audience not to
yell at me like that or i'd leave the stage. :)

in all seriousness, some important decisions about our
communications fabric will be made in the next few years that
will change the rest of the century, 700MHz usage among them.
i'm still hopeful we can make them according to the best
available empirical data, including international comparisons.