Interesting People mailing list archives

Weapons of Mass Destruction and the Press

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 10:05:08 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ronda Hauben <ronda () panix com>
Date: June 25, 2007 9:50:36 AM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: Ronda Hauben <ronda () panix com>
Subject: Weapons of Mass Destruction and the Press

Hi Dave

I though folks on IP would find my recent article about the continuing barrage against the supposed "axis of evil" countries to disprove the unsubstantiated accusations against them. Ronda

The article is:

Weapons of Mass Destruction Syndrome and the Press [Analysis] How does one prove a negative

April 5, 2006. Congressman Ron Paul (Texas) makes a speech "Iran: The Next Neo-con Target." (1) He reviews the scenario of how the invasion of Iraq was prepared in the U.S. "We demand that Iran prove it is not in violation of nuclear agreements, which is asking them impossibly to prove a negative," Paul observes.

Mohamed El Bareidei, the IAEA Director, Paul explains, has supported Iran's contention that it has been in compliance with its rights under the nuclear Non Proliferation Treaty (NPT) IAEA safeguard agreement

What have we learned from the experience in Iraq, Paul asks?

Four years have passed since the U.S. government mobilized much of the U.S. press to create the .spin. which provided a pretext for the March 2003 invasion of Iraq. The U.S. government accused Iraq of having .Weapons of Mass Destruction." How could Iraq prove they didn.t have any of a whole catalogue of things that they were accused of having? There was no way for Iraq to disprove the accusations. Thus much of the U.S. press, in cooperation with various U.S. government officials, used the impossibility of proving a negative to create a media environment in which the U.S. government could falsely claim they had a justification a war against of Iraq.

The url is:

http://english.ohmynews.com/articleview/article_view.asp? article_class=3&no=368433&rel_no=1