Interesting People mailing list archives

What does Telecom have to do with the Internet anyway?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 16:41:15 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Frankston <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: June 16, 2007 4:37:29 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: dewayne () warpspeed com, "'Lauren Weinstein'" <lauren () vortex com>
Subject: What does Telecom have to do with the Internet anyway?

Putting so much effort into issues like Network Neutrality and Broadband deployment diverts us from recognizing that the Internet has nothing to do with telecom except insofar as we let telecom control our connectivity. The entire telecom industry is just another application like the web so we do we give it so much power over us – we can’t get anything in return except more of what we already have and none of the surprises that really drive the economy and so much more.

In trying to write about these issues I realized that the metaphor of first or even last mile misses the point – that’s the way you talk about accessing something far away. The last mile, in particular, gives you the image that you are simply choosing among services provided. But no matter how many choices you have it’s not the same thing as being able to create your own solutions and discovering what you can’t predict.

Once we recognize that it’s really about local connectivity (and interconnectivity) the whole idea of telecom becomes strangely irrelevant. I’m trying the metaphor of the “First Square Mile” but am not sure whether that works – but is about connecting the neighborhood. Telecom tries to convince us that it’s all the roads that lead out of town as if we have no purpose other than consuming their content.

I realize many of the list readers will object to the idea that each neighborhood can operate its own network but it’s really no different from the days when no one could operate their own phones – they had to ring up central and ask for a number. But the phone companies themselves couldn’t hire enough operators so over time we got to dial our own phones and first place local calls and the in the 1960’s we got DDD and IDDD. Of course we still dial numbers – after all the carriers can’t go too far in devolving authority lest the make it too obvious that they exist just to create billable events.

In the same way, our home networking keeps improving because we have no reason limit it. Perhaps this is the biggest misconception driving policy – the assumption we need to incent people to do better. In reality as long as we don’t discourage it there are too many ways to make improvements – it’s more about removing impediments (that’s the point of antitrust). Home networks are still clunky but if you remember back just ten years ago things have improved a lot. Putting a printer on your home network is now relatively easy when it used to be nearly impossible. Amazing what you can do when you can solve problems outside the network using software. It helps a lot when you aren’t operating at the edge of what is possible and can devote abundant resources to usability. This how we use all those computrons and how we can use capacity of a local fiber mesh. The route doesn’t really matter since any path will work. And then repeat to interconnect …

In http://www.frankston.com/?name=SATNFSM I write about how it works and http://www.frankston.com/?Name=FSM is more about choices vs having a real opportunity to discover what is possible.