Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Urgent Call For a Google At-Large Public Ombudsman

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 18:09:31 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Synthesis: Law and Technology" <synthesis.law.and.technology () gmail com>
Date: June 13, 2007 3:26:19 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Urgent Call For a Google At-Large Public Ombudsman

Dave,

I think Ray has it right. The problem is probably that they feel they are doing everything for privacy so see no need. Since we don't see what actual internal controls are in place we don't have the same confidence. To paraphrase a famous expression -

Privacy must not noly be done, it must be SEEN to be done.

An Ombudsteam would go a long way to helping. It is also important to remember that privacy is the big issue but it is not the only issue that an Ombudsteam will face.

Dan Steinberg

SYNTHESIS:Law & Technology
35, du Ravin phone: (613) 794-5356
Chelsea, Quebec