Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Google and the JFK Bomb Plot: The Censorship Circus

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 12:50:13 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Date: June 5, 2007 12:46:27 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Cc: ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Re: [IP] Google and the JFK Bomb Plot: The Censorship Circus

Lauren - I largely agree with your arguments. But I think this is a more general problem related to "future shock" or the "fear of novelty" - is that a recognized diagnosis in DSM IV?

However, the persistence of such arguments (censorship shall make us safe, etc.) suggests that there is a natural logic wired into either our culture or our brains that suggests such arguments should be taken seriously.

What triggers such fear-based reasoning in one case, but not another?

For example, the gasoline stored in a typical gasoline station is a very effective terrorist target. It is quite easy to blow up a gas station and the energy density of gasoline is quite high and easy to release.

Yet we don't have people obsessing with fear about gas stations and terrorists.

Once upon a time, we did. When they were new, many people imagined disasters involving gas stations. I have seen gas stations blow up. It's thoroughly impressive, but actually very rare.

And so the problem seems to me to be that the "new" always strikes fear into the hearts of those who find it unfamiliar and strange. Google's images are *new* and strangely fascinating, so even the slightest suggestion that they might be dangerous under some circumstances raises some people's blood pressure to the limit.

Consequently, rather than worrying about censorship - we ought to worry about how to calm people's reactions to novelty.