Interesting People mailing list archives

The vanishing American computer programmer -- too much programming and too little thinking]

From: "David Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 20:09:24 -0400 (EDT)

Subject: RE: [IP] The vanishing American computer programmer -- too much
programming and too little thinking
From:    "Bob Frankston" <bob37-2 () bobf frankston com>
Date:    Sun, July 15, 2007 1:31 pm
To:      dave () farber net
         ip () v2 listbox com

This sounds like an echo of the fears of programming jobs going away 10, or
was it 20 or maybe 30 years ago.

The more important question is what do we mean by programming? If it's a
mechanical process of reducing a specification to a series of instructions
(what used to be called "coding") then compilers and software productivity
tools are just as much of a threat.

Rather than focusing on the mechanics of programming we should be focusing
on understanding how to solve problems and, at a deeper level understanding
the contexts and thus what it means to solve a problem. It sounds as if
programming is being treated as just another skill one can be trained for
rather than a skill that is part of becoming educated and thus capable of
doing far more.

If anything it is the lack of understanding of systems, databases,
information representation, ambiguity, cognitive psychology etc  and how to
apply these skills completely independent of using the computing devices
themselves that is the limiting factor. We should welcome those who want to
help implement solutions so that we can put more effort into applying our
understanding.

As I keep pointing out our focus on the network itself and the mechanics of
programming blinds us to the real problem which is understanding how to take
advantage of the opportunities. We worry about broadband as if it means more
web channels and show no awareness of the cost of our failure to use
connectivity as basic infrastructure.

Sure we have web sites that allow me to renew my driver’s license but the
system behind it doesn’t tell me when I reapply that I need to get a new
photo – instead I have to hope the email notice sent a few days later comes
through all the spam. Why did the notice of expiration itself come through
paper mail? Why did I not get a reminder till I tried to rent a car in the
middle of the weekend only to have Hertz tell me that my license had
expired? Because the systems behind the screen are still the same old
mechanical systems, I was unable to do anything about it till I came back on
Monday. The email is so easily lost is because we are stuck with a model of
email based on the most naïve combination of the postal model and the
telephone model.

This is just one trivial example out many millions. I finally did get the
license and a new bitmap (AKA photo) but if I want to renew my passport I
need another bitmap just because those bits are treated as a license photo
and not a passport photo. And on and on.

We lack the skills to even recognize that these are addressable, even if not
fully solvable, problems. Instead we worry about more jobs – to use
Faulhaber ’s example, we treating programming not much differently like the
Chinese treated shovelers building dams.

If students don’t see programming as the next fount of jobs the tragedy is
not the narrow loss of jobs and practitioners. What we lose are the
unanticipated benefits that come with understanding how to work with
abstractions.  As long as we focus on just jobs and training we are denying
our selves the benefits of an educated population.