Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: IPhone-Free Cellphone News

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2007 21:42:08 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: dewayne () warpspeed com (Dewayne Hendricks)
Date: July 8, 2007 4:47:32 PM EDT
To: Dewayne-Net Technology List <xyzzy () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] re: IPhone-Free Cellphone News

[Note:  This comment comes from friend Charles Brown.  DLH]

From: Charles Brown <cbrown () flyingcircuit com>
Date: July 8, 2007 9:01:50 AM PDT
To: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Cc: Charles Brown <cbrown () flyingcircuit com>
Subject: Re: [Dewayne-Net] re: IPhone-Free Cellphone News

[Note:  This comment comes from friend Robert Buaas.  DLH]

From: "Robert A. Buaas" <buaas () wireless net>
Date: July 6, 2007 11:26:05 AM PDT
To: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Subject: Re: [Dewayne-Net] IPhone-Free Cellphone News

Hi Dewayne--

I read this announcement elsewhere (in print) and was unimpressed...

There’s one big limitation to all this freeness: these phones can’t
get onto any hot spot that require you to log in on a Web page (to
enter a credit card number, for example). Unfortunately, this
restriction rules out most airports and many hotel rooms.

And on rereading this, it occurred to me that, what if while away from
"friendly" infrastructure, one had an application on ones laptop that
functionally gatewayed (and protocol translated, where required) the phone's requirements (and lack of capabilities) onto the WiFi's (like handling the login requirements often that show up at hotels wanting a signoff of the
hotel's Fair Use Policy)?

T-Mobile is offering either a Nokia 6086 or Samsung t409 handset. The
datasheets describe UMA-over-WiFi functionality, which "tunnels" the GSM (or CDMA) connection through the WiFi hotspot to T-mobile. Just what we need...

Anyone for developing a full carrier-spoofing GSM-to-SIP gateway (including a
GSM-to-G.729a codec)? I didn't think so.

Yes, I take your point. A healthy dose of skepticism is always required for any cellco/telco announcement adopting an "open access" technology. They aren't spending heavily on network-centric technology like IMS to create choices for consumers at the network edge. However, I offer the following additional thoughts:

1) The key point is this: the cellcos are now drivers of the WiFi voice market where before, they were obstacles. If, and some might say it's just a question of when, the telcos link their WiFi networks under a telco-type billing settlement agreement and consolidate their piece of the WiFi access market, then perhaps we will see new opportunities for entrepreneurs in this space for, dare I say, CLEC ver.3 (better name is order). CLEC ver.2 raised $1 trillion + in equity and debt, and there's plenty of leftover backbone media from the last boom. CLEC ver.1 took place in the early 90's and late 80's, and prior to the Telecom Act of 96. Displacing the telcos from the access market has been the Holy Grail of the CLEC ver.x process since divestiture. And people have short memories. Is it time for another run at it? Is the technology there to do it? And so on.

2) Today, everyone who uses a VPN is tunneling. I think gateways and such are anachronisms of the telco and proprietary technology business models, and of course, IEEE committees. E.g., getting my wireless devices/networks to interface with my open source Asterisk box is a science project. The delay/gateways/other issues in VoIP providers networks are suspect, maybe Comcast Workplace service is filtering my packets, who knows. In my experience, the VoIP providers offer a lousy service. Yet, they are still able to attract capital.

I guess I see the core problem differently: one of bandwidth at the network edge (access) and the backbone (peering, filtering and delay), and the middle mile (access +1) getting to the backbone. Yes, just a small problem for us here in the US. If we don't figure it out though, then we should be prepared to buy the promise of wireless "open access" from the duopoly in some form. It's just a matter of time before they figure out how to monetize it.

3) The phones will morph to the market, despite the current distribution model which is cellco-controlled. The Nokia N800 is the future prototype, and an open iPhone, which is already underway. Pop the sim card out of the iPhone and you can have a WiFi phone. Great, but I don't want yet another account and signup with Boingo, or Doingo or Kongo, to use it.

4) IMHO, the "open access model" is not Fon, it's more like Whisher. I also don't want another proprietary device like ATTs' free wireless router. I want to buy my wireless access hardware at Best Buy.

5)  The implications for WiMax can't be positive.

6)  802.11x is not going to scale to requirements.

7) Spoofing the networks is not the way to do. What about Skype you say? Well, it's proprietary and no one knows how the encryption works. Will we see packets from apps like Skype filtered in the future?

As the song could have said:  "We don't need no gateways."

Charlie