Interesting People mailing list archives

face recognition flop wghy do I not believe this

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 20:20:22 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brian Randell <Brian.Randell () ncl ac uk>
Date: July 25, 2007 6:42:40 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: face recognition flop

Dave:

From the CyTrap Labs Newsletter, responding to an item that I passed on to them from IP:

Research that matters - Bundeskriminalamt conducted a field test of face recognition software at Mainz
Face reconition software works for fighting terrorism
BKA in Germany conducted a large field test to see if face reconition software could be used to catch criminals and terrorist suspects. While the media got it wrong including the BKA's own president Jörg Ziercke - from a scientific perspective - these tests were a success With minimal human interference - false positive ratio was kept quite small - 0.1 percent Face recognition technology if used correctly and according to the country's constitution and privacy laws is an effective tool for catching criminals and stopping hooligans from entering a football stadium.

Full story at:

http://blog.cytrap.eu/?p=248

Cheers

Brian

--
School of Computing Science, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne,
NE1 7RU, UK