Interesting People mailing list archives

Looking for a sample ComTran program

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 08:55:04 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Tim Bonham <t-bonham () scc net>
Date: July 21, 2007 10:58:48 PM EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Looking for a sample ComTran program

Dave -- someone suggested you might be able to help on this:

I am looking for a sample program in the language ComTran. That is COMmercial TRANslator (like FORmula TRANslator, FORTRAN) created by Bob Bemer at IBM half a century ago (in 1957). This was a fore- runner of COBOL, and the origin of the Picture clause for describing data.

I'm looking for just a short program, any task, that is an actual example of COMTRAN programming.

If you have any sample ComTran programs you could send me, or if you know of someplace where I might be able to find a short sample, I would be very grateful.

I'm looking for something in ComTran similar to the FLOW-MATIC example shown here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FLOW-MATIC

Thank you for any help you can give.