Interesting People mailing list archives

query for reporters All hail the new iPhone - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 18:00:07 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Brock N. Meeks" <bmeeks () cox net>
Date: January 12, 2007 5:36:57 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on All hail the new iPhone - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

It is curious why Jobs would hang the initial success of the iPhone on a
single carrier. We can only speculate, for now, why that might. It could very well be that Cingular has some kind of financial arrangement with Apple wherein the company will kickback to Apple a certain percentage of all fees
generated by new iPhone subscribers.

During the Microsoft antitrust trial we certainly saw how all kinds of deals were made by Microsoft with the computer vendors wherein certain financial
arrangements were given in return for prominent placement of the Windows
Explorer icon.

There's nothing illegal in this type of transaction and I suppose if such a
deal has actually been made it would show up, somewhere, in Cingular's
quarterly earnings statements.

I wonder if any business reporters have asked about this (surely they have),
I just haven't seen any answers.