Interesting People mailing list archives

someone needs their heads fixed .. Rural Montana librarian a threat to national security

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 18:28:29 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: January 10, 2007 6:01:12 PM EST
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>, Richard Forno <rforno () infowarrior org>
Subject: Rural Montana librarian a threat to national security

        Libraries are dangerous places
http://janellen.blogspot.com/2007/01/libraries-are-dangerous- places.html

Excerpt:

        I learned today that she had recently submitted a request for a
        patron, ordering books from the large library in Billings. Being
        a tiny library, this is routine; she does this every week-- for
        folks who want to read items that aren't available, or maybe
        for kids who need something for a school report. She submits
        the order, the books come back, everyone is happy.

        Not this time.

        This time, she received these books; but they came with a letter
        informing her that because she had ordered them, she had been
        placed on a "Watch List." Pursuant to recent policy, with due
        respect for concerns with the requirements of the Patriot Act,
        she will have to appear in person in Billings before she will
        be permitted to order any more books.

My suggestion is that every librarian in every library in the
United States request a copy of these books (even if they already have one).

---Rsk