Interesting People mailing list archives

more on dot "ex-ex-ex" domain boondoggle, err, proposal, back again

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 18:43:42 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dave Crocker <dcrocker () bbiw net>
Date: January 7, 2007 6:18:00 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip () v2 listbox com, Bob Frankston <Bob2-19-0501 () bobf frankston com>, Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com> Subject: Re: [IP] dot "ex-ex-ex" domain boondoggle, err, proposal, back again

Here we go again ... brace yourself for another round of knee-jerk punditry about Sex And The Internet. I wish more writers would point out, as I've written before, that dot-ex-ex-ex does not, in fact, actually *DO* anything
notable in terms of ratings.
What ex-ex-ex *will* do, however, is produce an ongoing stream of monopoly
rents for the company proposing it (ICM Registry),

Dave,

The AP article looks pretty coherent on the topic, notwitstanding its reference to ICANN as "the Internet's key oversight agency." Certainly the ICM Registry proposal for .xxx membership looks like it has some interesting ideas, although it is not clear to me that they can be enforced for the long term.

With respect to ICANN's strategic role, here, it's nearly impossible to extricate underlying policy issues from the strong political and emotional distractions that are pornography's baggage. However a meaningful discussion of ICANN's role and choices, here, requires the separation, if the current choice is to be based on anything other than politics and emotion.

A decision was made, very early in the history of Domain Names, to have multiple "templates" for the semantics of Top-Level Domain (TLD) labels. DNS naming does not require any particular scheme for choosing its labels, and a number of
different ones have developed.

In effect, we now live with 3 basic categories: Geographic, Administrative, Generic (GTLD). There is nothing to prevent having more, but then, it probably would not be any fun going through the hassle of gaining consensus on new ones...

The original GTLDs described a small set categories for registering institutions:

   MIL[itary]
   GOV[ernment]
   EDU[cational]
   [non-profit] ORG[anization]
   NET[working-specific]
   COM[mercial].

(It is also probably worth noting that these categories do not have to be mutually exclusive. For example, non-profit networking organizations and for-profit educational companies exist, and there is no inherent reason they
should be limited to a particular GTLD.)

These categories served as registration criteria that were initially enforced. Over time, the restrictions went away for .com, .net and .org. So we now have a two-category policy framework for GTLD names. Some GTLDs are merely descriptive and others are highly prescriptive. That is, some represent a label for which registration is open to anyone who considers it appropriate, while other labels are restricted to those who satisfy specific criteria. There are reasonable arguments for and against both categories, but we are long past considering
whether to have either.

So the current controversy exists within the context of an established model that provides for having some GTLDs restrict registration to organizations that satisfy a clearly-documented set of criteria. Not surprisingly, agreeing on the labels and the criteria has not been easy, and there is no reason to expect
future choices to be different.

Examples of initial choices included: Should .gov and .mil be restricted to government and military organizations only in the U.S., given the history of DNS registrations? Should .edu be restricted to 4-year colleges and above, 2-year and above, any "regular" academic institution, or any organization that does teaching, or...? None of the previous restricted categories has been all that straightforward to decide, and some have undergone change, over the twenty-year history of DNS.

This sub-category is now called "Sponsored" because on-going responsibility for administration of a qualifying GTLD is assigned to a sponsoring organization. (This creates even more fun for the topic, because it requires deciding whether the restrictive criteria are specified solely by ICANN or whether the sponsoring
organization can define the rules, as well as who to choose as sponsor)

One of the meta-policies for ICANN has been to decide whether it is going to have trivial rules for creating sponsored GTLDs or careful rules.

Trivial rules will mean a proliferation of Sponsored TLDs, including many that are silly, wasteful, bogus, etc., along with some/many that are reasonable. ICANN has chosen, instead, to add Sponsored TLDs slowly and only after extensive consideration. Of course, this does not really mitigate against having a new one be silly, wasteful, or bogus. But it does guarantee that the number of potentially silly, wasteful, bogus Sponsored TLDs is small. (It also ensures a small number that are useful.) Best of all is that it ensures there will be a maximum of controversy, for each one, since the Internet community gets to focus its attention on each one, over an extended period of time.

So, .xxx is merely an extreme example of the challenges associated with having any Sponsored GTLDs at all. Underlying the strong controversy about this particular one are concerns about "legitimizing" pornography, misrepresentation about the membership in .xxx or the implication of safety for the rest of the domain space, and so on. Then of course, there is the small matter of differing norms and laws around the world, where the DNS must somehow survive the gauntlet of possible criminal and civil interventions against a particular name and its
particular policies.

In other words, when there is a registration policy pertaining to the nature of the organization, there are potentially major implications about membership and non-membership. Unfortunately, ICANN's current approach places the responsibility for those implications on its own shoulders.

For me, the interesting question is whether there is a way it can delegate that
responsibility?

If ICANN were to choose a relatively open policy that permitted creating many new GTLDs (sponsored or not) then it could probably stand back and let all sorts of experimentation take place, including names of the type of .xxx. Certainly there are many proponents of this path. Howeever it would probably lead to a very large number of TLDs; at a minimum there is some concern that having many
thousands of TLDs could hurt overall DNS performance.

More importantly, I think, is that that particular meta-policy decision ship sailed a long time ago. I'd be surprised to see ICANN bring it back home for re-fitting. However it might be worth considering, given that the current approach implies that ICANN has the ability to navigate these difficult waters for each "interesting" GTLD. On the other hand, would a more open policy really relieve it from the vagaries of legal intervention for GTLDs that are not only controversial but might run smack into some jurisdiction's moral and criminal wall?

It is difficult to imagine a good outcome, either by creating .xxx or by refusing to create it, since there are such vigorous proponents and opponents in both directions, nevermind laws that support each side.

Given the lose-lose nature of the current candidate TLD, I find myself wondering which choice leaves the loser with the weaker argument about damage. If .xxx
is not authorized, can its proponents claim that there is real damage to
potential registrants, their customers, or the Internet as a whole? If .xxx
does get authorized, can its detractors claim similar types of damage?

Given the range of global laws on pornography, my guess is that .xxx proponents have the weaker claim for damages, since they are still free to register under
perfectly reasonable alternatives.

But then, IANL.

d/

--