Interesting People mailing list archives

more on The Real Reason for Lengthy Airport Security Lines?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 10:05:19 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Matt Blaze <mab () crypto com>
Date: January 6, 2007 9:40:02 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] The Real Reason for Lengthy Airport Security Lines?

From: IP
http://aviationnow.com/avnow/news/channel_comm_story.jsp?id=news/ ADS01047.xml

My distaste at being subjected to ads during these already humiliating and irritating screenings aside, I thought perhaps the most interesting part of this the glimpse the bureaucratic technical jargon that has now emerged for mundane airport security paraphernalia. Those trays are apparently called "divestiture bins", from which we can presumably retrieve our items while at the "composure tables". I don't usually feel very composed after making it through the long security line, so I suppose this will be an improvement.

Maybe at least they'll be able to make the "divestiture tables" the same heights
as the xray machines (or whatever they call those now) if this happens.

I'd say you can't make this kind of stuff up, but apparently someone is.