Interesting People mailing list archives

Jim Gray lost at sea?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 20:37:16 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Rod Van Meter <rdv () tera ics keio ac jp>
Date: January 29, 2007 8:29:22 PM EST
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Jim Gray lost at sea?

Dave, for IP if you wish...I seem to be the bearer of bad news this
week...

Jim Gray, who won the 1998 Turing Award for his work on databases and
transaction processing, went out for a solo sail Sunday afternoon and
has not returned.  He is only a day late so far, so there is still hope.
He was headed for the Farallon Islands offshore from San Francisco.

Jim is manager of Microsoft's eScience group.  Being a failed
astronomer, I'm especially impressed with his work on the Sloan Digital
Sky Survey and related projects.  He also interacted heavily with
storage researchers at many of the Bay Area's universities and
companies.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/01/29/ BAGB5NR0GL6.DTL&feed=rss.bayarea

                --Rod

Archives: http://archives.listbox.com/247/